Civil Litigation Lawyer Belleville - When a business goes through financial difficulties, it is critical to choose the right group to assist your business through the essential processes. These may include business restructurings, insolvencies and bankruptcies. Our Business Restructuring and Insolvency Group has a wealth of knowledge to help you handle these situations. Our lawyers are uniquely positioned to give advice and representation, resulting in effective, strategic and timely solutions.
We work with business enterprises in industries like for instance airline, automotive, biomedical, communications, entertainment, construction, financial services, funeral, healthcare, insurance, marketing, manufacturing, mining, steel, technology, retail, real estate and natural resources. Our lawyers can assist you with the difficulties of cross-border proceedings administered under either the Canada Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act ("CCAA") or Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code. We have extensive skill with multi-national and domestic business restructurings and reorganizations, whether informal or court-supervised. Insolvency and bankruptcy restructuring legislation in the United States and Canada have a similar debtor-in-possession focus; then again, the laws of the two jurisdictions are different enough to need those involved in cross-border proceedings to be knowledgeable about both jurisdictions. In recent years our lawyers have advised intermediaries and stakeholders in a lot of the biggest insolvencies and restructurings under the CCAA, the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act ("BIA") and the Winding-up and Restructuring Act.
Access to the required professionals may be able to help tip the scales in your favour of results that are positive throughout business restructuring and insolvency. We are able to draw on the experience of our skillful members across our international firms within the many legal areas dealing with business reorganizations. Our company has professionals in banking and securitization, mergers and acquisitions, public and private equity, labour and employment, intellectual property and real property, and governmental relations. In cases of insolvency requiring advocacy before trial and appellate courts, our group provides expert litigators.
For the numerous stakeholders we represent, our services include the following:
1. We assist those financially challenged businesses about the alternatives and options of restructuring, that comprises the directing and creating of formal restructuring proceedings under the BIA and the CCAA.
2. In relation to businesses in financial distress, we advise board members and the special/independent committees of private and public corporations.
3. In relation to insolvent business debtors, we advise in the context of cross-border restructuring proceedings, to non-regulated and institutional lenders, agents to and members of operational, term, second-lien and asset-based lenders, distressed debt investors, lending syndicates, trust indenture trustees, bondholders, formal and ad hoc noteholders committees, and hedge fund and private equity investors.
4. In cases being administered under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code related to cross-border and Canadian restructuring procedures, we advise the ad-hoc and formal creditors committees.
5. We advise secured creditors concerning the enforcement of their security, privately and through court-supervised processes and the protections of their interests and rights in insolvency proceedings.
6. We advise trustees in bankruptcy, liquidators, receivers, monitors, interim receivers, construction lien trustees and other court-appointed officers in CCAA procedures and proposals under the BIA, including bankruptcies and receiverships.
7. In relation to insolvent or defaulting debtors, we advise equipment vendors and lessors, suppliers, contracting third parties, and commercial landlords in insolvency and restructuring realizations and proceedings.
8. We advise purchasers acquiring businesses or distressed assets in cases administered under the CCAA and BIA, from trustees in bankruptcy and from privately or court-appointed receivers.
9. We help financial advisors, investment bankers, and other consultants relating to their engagement in insolvency proceedings.
10. In the context of insolvency, business restructuring and bankruptcy cases, we provide counsel could various litigation problems.
11.We defend and prosecute litigating actions and preference actions for fraudulent conveyance of assets and acquiring urgent relief to preserve and protect assets from dissipation, like injunctions, mareva injunctions, and anton pillar orders.
Click to Download the pdf